Haven: Secret of Caledria
A downloadable game for Windows
** DEMO AVAILABLE! **
When I play classic JRPGs from the 90's, the overwhelming nostalgia I get makes me wish that I could erase my memory of those games just so I could get that fresh experience . That nostalgia is an endless source of motivation for Haven: Secret of Caledria.
My goal is to create a classic JRPG experience that's palatable to a modern audience. The game draws inspiration from several classics such as Lufia 2, Chrono Trigger, FFVI, and Suikoden. As someone with a full-time job and a family, I realize that some fans of the genre may not have a lot of time to sink into a 20+ hour game. Haven will be for those who can appreciate games that are simple in design, but have just enough depth to keep players engaged.
A raid on the region of Olund comes to a halt when Ziedrick, Captain of the Caledrian army, finds out that he was manipulated by Emperor Rofel to lead the attack. His decision to spare the lives of the Olund rebels sets a plan in motion that ushers in an age of peace. Years later, Ziedrick would pass away, leaving his son Oswyn to carry on his legacy.
In an attempt to live up to his father's image, Oswyn quickly rose among the ranks of the Caledrian Army. But with the war coming to a close, he begins to feel a lack of purpose and questions whether or not he should carve his own path to find himself.
After a royal treasure is stolen, Oswyn seizes an opportunity to honor his father, and begins a pursuit of the thieves . Unbeknownst to him, Oswyn would stumble on a secret that goes on to change his life forever.
- Encounter enemies through direct contact while moving in hostile areas. Specific effects will be triggered based on the direction the enemy is facing when approached.
Target Enemies based on Area of Effect
- Use your Arts to strategically target enemies in various positions.
Unleash Special Attacks
- Build your Morale and defeat your enemies using attacks that are unique to each party member.
Capture and use Monster abilities in battle!
- Assign specific monster abilities to your party members and use them in battle.
Build up a Village to Unlock Secrets (Not in Demo)
- Gain new abilities and hidden items as you grow your base of operations.
Embark on various Sidequests
- Explore the world of Caledria to unlock hidden locations, characters, items, and more.
Collect cards and battle with them against various NPCs
- Take a break by playing a fun card based mini-game!
Demo Version 5.1.2
- Removed custom icon from executable file to avoid false positives with anti-virus software
- Changed Save Statue to offer healing before the save menu
- Changed Line Height to avoid text cut-off in some menus
- Changed Timer Display to show a UI window behind the timer, along with a mini-game tally
- Added details to Novagon's card confirmation after a match
- Fixed missing restoration item sound effect in battle
Demo Version 5.1.1
- Elemental Mechanics changed slightly. Elemental weaknesses are now determined by opposing elements instead of an elemental wheel.
- Battles now have less delay between actions, making pacing a bit faster.
- Jewelry now has two enhancements as opposed to one.
- Changed Down/Up status effects to modify damage/healing values instead of base stats. This helps with balancing battles and stacking bonuses from states and equipment.
- Windowskin has been slightly modified for better contrast with text, and more visual depth.
- More troop variety in Trista Pass.
Demo Version 5.1.0
- Changed "Fir" abbreviation to "Fire" in config menus and tutorials
- Changed "Sm." and "Lg." abbrevations for item names.
- Changed "Morale Brew" to "Elixir"
- Changed "Holy Balm" to remove all "Down" status effects
- Changed Traveling Merchant Items in their respective Shops
- Changed Several Status Effect names to show "Down" and "Up", instead of "-" and "+", respectively.
- Fixed bug for Nova Crystal puzzle in Thrall Woods
- Fixed bug where not all actors would turn and run when escaping from battle
- Fixed Item and Skill List spacing in Menus
- Added damage to Angus' Sludge Bomb skill
- Added small impact explosion for Fireball spell
- Removed End-of-Demo Survey
- Removed optional demo extension
- Hotfix added June 25th, 2022
Demo Version 5.0.9
- Fixed lag issue with Nova Shot Mini-Game.
Demo Version 5.0.8
- Rebalanced and arranged various skills so that they are more useful than they were previously.
- Fixed issue with specific State Icons/Counts not appearing on the Battle Status
- Fixed mouse issue with selecting Novagon Cards post-match.
- Updated World Map Tileset.
- Added traveling merchant to Trista Pass.
- Updated various plugins to fix various small bugs.
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- New Year, New Goals, New DemoJan 03, 2022
- Demo Version 4.1.0 is Live!Feb 03, 2021
- On Second Thought...Jan 24, 2021
- Am I Porting to RMMZ?Nov 22, 2020
- Demo Updated to 4.0.3Sep 25, 2020
- Major Announcement - Name ChangeSep 15, 2020
- Game Mechanics: Knowing When to Let GoFeb 19, 2020
- I've been slacking... But!Jan 06, 2020
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Hope all is going well man! Still one of my games to watch! Hoping it is progressing well!
I appreciate the follow up! Things are going fantastic and I've made a lot of progress over the last couple weeks. Still going strong!
I am new at itch.io . I discovered website two days ago and it blowed my mind. There are lots of amazing games in here . Your game is one of the great games. Drawings of your game looks great and I like those type of games. I will download soon.
It run smooth. And look really good. Is there some Difficult Settings planed? I stuck in one fight
Sorry to hear that. I don't have any difficulty settings planned, but maybe I can help you with a strategy to win the fight? Which fight did you get stuck on?
I stuck on the Fight right after find Angus the Enemy is really hard and i only have the Main Charakter and her sister +Angus but... he is not that strong ^^ 7 or 8 Trys i have allready
Thanks for giving it so many tries!
There are many ways to win this battle, but here are a few things should give you a significant advantage.
1. Be sure to extract the Snake Stone, which gives you the "Bind" skill. Use this on the Cerberus to inflict the ATK Down status effect.
2. Keep some "Small Holy Balms" in your inventory to remove negative status effects
3. Be sure to use Angus' "Sludge Bomb" skill when needed. This can delay the Cerberus' next turn so that you have a chance to heal party members with low HP before it attacks.
4. Lastly, the Cerberus is weak to Fire elemental damage, so use Ysabel's "Fireball" spell as often as you can.
Hope this helps! Good luck!
Hey uhh... idk why but i downloaded and unzip the game just fine but when i tried double clicking the "Haven" file its not launching the game. Can someone help me?
Hey there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue. I've just tried downloading the file myself, and it runs with no issues. I've also received some recent feedback from other players who managed to run the file. Out of curiosity, can you explain what's specifically happening when you click the file? Is there an error? Does your OS lock up? Is there any response at all?
The game file just simply wont run. Downloaded the game, unziped it, Opened the game folder, I double clicked the Haven file, my mouse cursor got the blue circling thingy that always means the file is being processed, then nothing. I waited for at least 5 minutes but nothing comes up. No error message, No file missing error, just nothing.
That's really odd. I'm going to look into this today. It'll be a little tough since I can't reproduce the error. But I'm sure someone else has run into this issue at some point. Let me do some digging and I'll get back to you! Thanks for your time!
I should ask first, do you use the RPG Maker Software at all on your PC?
I don't quite understand what you mean by that, do you mean the software that many game maker use to make game? if it is then nope, I don't think I have it. I never make any kind of game. But if you mean like a software that makes my pc run an rpg game i think i do have it but I'm not sure too, because I've played rpg game with pixelated texture like this although not the same and I can play it. It would be weird if I only can't play this game. Try checking a game creator called "VasantJ" , that's the kind of rpg game that I usually play. (Btw english is not my first language so I hope you can still understand what I'm trying to say, the game looks pretty cool so I'm hoping that whatever the problem is will be solved)
No problem! I understood perfectly! I've asked around about this problem, and it's possible that the issue could be linked to anti-virus software not liking the .exe file. So I'm going to reupload this. I'm quite busy with work/life so I don't think I'll get to it today. Hopefully tomorrow. I'll be sure to let you know once that is done! Thanks again for your time!
Can we take a moment to appreciate this underrated masterpiece?there's no way this guy spended all his free time to create an rpg all by himself for years on itch? °•°
This truly shows how this work is truly loved by the creator!
Looks so cool!
I just downloaded the demo and haven't even played it yet but, I will say that I am grateful that even after 5 years you have not given up on this project and are still pushing through. As so many great games never get made because their developers give up on them. So truly thank you for putting all that you have into this. You are an amazing human being.
Thank you so much for this message! It's so refreshing to hear. The passion is definitely still there for this project. I don't see myself ever dropping this project, no matter how long it takes me to finish it. I "try" to work on it at least a few days a week. It's just that after having a son, and switching careers, my life has been pretty busy. I do hope that you enjoy the demo though! If you have the time, please let me know how it goes! Thanks again!
Nearly 5 years, still a demo?
Arguably one of the best RM games, and I don't say that lightly.
Looks great very 90s
That's exactly what I'm going for, so when I hear someone say it looks and & feels like a game from the 90s, it's a huge win for me. Thank you so much!
Is this 64 bit
This game is just beautiful and very relaxing.
Enjoyed every minute of it.
heya! which scripts didja use? i´m making an similar game and wanted to know.
It'd be too much to give you an entire list of scripts. I used a lot of them. But I also used quite a bit of my own code.
You did an outstanding job on your demo! Nice mapping, interesting yet simple storyline, enjoyable play.
Thank you so much! Simplicity is definitely what I'm going for. Glad you enjoyed it! Still working hard on it too.
Firstly I must say this game has bopping music. For the length I have played, the story was quite engaging. The gameplay follows the same style as a turn based rpg but still adds some new mechanics like the EP instead of MP which can be recovered by guarding. I think the difficulty of the game is quite manageable although I died almost not close to the end of the demo :| I enjoy for how long I've played and can't wait to see more :D!
Thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed it. Let me also say that I appreciate your dedication to playing RM games. Every little bit helps.
This game was super fun. I strongly recommend it to everyone looking at this game!
Looks interesting, love the song for the gameplay montage, can't actually try it though b/c I'm on a MacBook :(
Gorgeous art style and very nice battle mechanics!
This project seems like a lot of fun to play.
Do you have any plans to bring your game to Playstation? It’d be a day 1 purchase for me.
Sorry for the late response!
No plans to bring it over. But anything is possible. My main concern with porting the game over to different platforms is quality assurance. I'm not confident that this game would work well on a console. Thanks for your support!
i love the story it makes me want to play more :)
old looking graphics are good too , like you wrote up it's like being back in the 90's for those of us who were teenagers back then.
great game :)
Thank you so much! I believe you left some feedback on the survey as well. Your feedback was great, and I'll be taking a second look at elemental affinities.
spanish version pls!
portuguese version PLZZZZZZZZ
Honestly, this is pure laziness on my part. I never really took the time to dig into exporting to Mac. If it were as simple as clicking a button, I'd do it. But from what I'm told, it's not that easy unless you're developing on a Mac version of the software I'm using. I'll definitely make it a goal of mine to figure it out though. Thanks for your interest!
Best RPG Maker game I've ever played
Love this game! My completionism is very happy with side quests.
I did notice that in the nova ring shooter game, sometimes it would continue the game after the timer stopped, and I had to restart the game from a save point.
I got so close to the 15 hits! But I could only manage 14. Any tips?
That's a really interesting bug. Thanks for the heads up! Super glad you enjoyed it. As for tips on the mini-game? Try not to travel too far between targets. :)
This game looks cool. Any chance for a Mac release?
Thank you! You're the first to ask for a Mac release, actually. The final product should definitely be available for Mac. Just not sure about recent demos, because I'm still updating them.
Great game!!! Just right. When are you releasing the full game???
Thank you so much for the feedback! I've been very busy as of late. But I'm hoping to release the game by mid-2021.
i used the itch random game to find this
Quality game that gets better every iteration. This ones gonna be special.
Fantastic Demo. Everything about this game was top notch. The style was consistent throughout, and definitely evoked the retro vibe you were aiming for. The story unfolded nicely. The characters had depth and potential for some solid development. The battles were simple, but balanced and still required strategy. Solid, all the way through. I highly recommend this one. I'm looking forward to playing the full version one day.
Really enjoyed playing the demo...can't wait for the full game!
Great classic feeling RPG! The immersive story and outstanding character development kept me very interested! The battle system and equipment are not complicated. No sharp learning curve. My biggest complaint is that it isn't long enough! Keep up the great work!
como se descargan los juegos desde este tipo de pagina
It is wonderful RPG!
Who made your title theme?
Oh I was meaning to say who made your title music lol my bad.